Stephen Rotter assists his clients in all aspects of workplace issues, including setting up businesses, advising on employment issues, ensuring workplace protection, and litigating unfair claims.
Mr. Rotter leverages his employment law knowledge and prosecutorial experience to advise, defend, and litigate on behalf of clients in the following areas:
- Ensuring businesses properly comply with ethical and legal obligations from initial implementation to ongoing duties.
- Providing advice and counsel related to wage and hour laws, discrimination matters, workplace issues, employment law hurdles, and launching business initiatives.
- Defending against state and federal agency investigations and charges - both civil and criminal.
- Conducting internal investigations related to employee claims or wrongdoing, and providing post-investigation recommendations.
- Creating Workplace Protection Programs, including assessment, development, and training.
- Prosecuting restrictive covenant cases, including trade secrets.
- Pursuing employee fraud, theft, and embezzlement claims on behalf of employers, in addition to litigating restrictive covenant matters.
Mr. Rotter regularly first-chairs a variety of litigation matters on behalf of his clients, and his experience includes the following:
- Obtained complete defense verdict in U.S. District Court jury trial on behalf of Fortune 500 client against former employee's discrimination and harassment claims.
- Defended national residential and hospitality property owner and operator against former employee's claims of Title VII sex and race discrimination and retaliation resulting in full dismissal of claims.
- Defended national restaurant chain against wage and hour claims, resulting in de-certification of class and eventual dismissal of lawsuit.
TRAININGS and seminars
- Client Training - "Workplace Investigations: Employment Issues and Protecting the Business" - Chicago, April 2019
- Client Seminar - "The Gender Gap: Doing More for the Workplace" - Chicago, March 2019
- Mile High SHRM Briefing - "Invisible Risks: Managing Mental Health Problems in the Workplace" - Denver, September 2018
- Client Briefing - "Battle of the Sexes: Doing More for the Workplace" - Denver, August 2018
Human Resources Consultant and Executive Recruiter
After graduating from Northwestern University with a Psychological Services degree, Stephen Rotter began his career as a Human Resources Consultant and Executive Recruiter for employers across various industries. He co-founded a recruiting and consulting firm to assist companies with workplace issues, talent development, and hiring practices. Mr. Rotter's background and experience in working with human resource personnel to confidentially identify and evaluate internal resources and needs directly translates to his ability to work with employers on improving and enriching their workplaces - ranging from process improvements to harassment prevention to defending unfair employment practice claims. Moreover, Mr. Rotter's experience in screening individuals for highly-specialized positions, negotiating deals, drafting and preparing employment contracts, and identifying problem areas lends itself well to his current practice and assisting clients with workplace issues and disputes.